top of page

Case Study

Vocabulary Learning App


  • Larry is a fun and friendly app to help students learn vocabulary for any subject 

  • The objective was to create a product that would be delightfully encouraged the user to study both by themself as well as with friends and classmates

  •  It was important to create an experience that was mentally effective in terms of retaining the information, while also creating an experience that was easy and quick to open in and jump right into, much like the way people currently use social media, so we want to mimic those patterns in a sense

  • This was an app I designed as a student, and then later returned to improve certain elements. 

splash 3d.png

What I did

  • Conducted user research

  • Competitive analysis

  • Usability testing

  • Created wireframes and prototypes from low-fidelity to high-fidelity

First Steps

Competitive Analysis

  • To begin, I checked out a handful of apps in this space including Duolingo, Quizlet.

duolingo logo.png
voabulary app logo.png

User Interviews - interview questions and participant notes

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.05.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.06.01 PM.png
Click image to enlarge
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.05.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.05.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.05.52 PM.png

User Persona

Persona - chuck@2x.png

User flows

Then I created some user flows to think through tasks such as creating cards, and using group mode. 

UXI 3.1 - IA.jpg

Initial sketches and ideas

Then I did some sketches to generate and think out ideas related to:

  • What should be on the home screen

  • How to go about groups and sessions


Paper prototype and testing

I quickly put together a paper prototype to some early feedback

Marvel prototype screenshots@2x.png

Usability Test Plan / Results and lessons learned

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.09.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.09.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.09.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 1.10.42 PM.png

First digital wireframes

  • I then talked to people that were current students, as well as students who had finished school within the last 1-2 years. My thinking with this was that recent students may provide feedback that was reflective on their time spent as a student, which may inspire different attitudes than current students

  • Main takeaways included:

    • People want simple and easy​

    • A "fun" or "cute" interface, but not something overly animated or cute. They found this to be necessary, distracting at times, and gimmicky

Low-fidelity screens@2x.png

Hi-fidelity wireframes

After the marvel prototype was tested, I continued the project in Adobe XD and created high-fidelity wireframes that addressed the feedback I got.

Mockups set 2@2x.png
splash 3d.png

Next Steps

  • Hi-fidelity mockups will be added to as I continue developing the UI of this application with help from preference test results

  • I also plan to add the full information architecture, and style guide

Thanks for viewing!

bottom of page